Sunday 20 April 2014

Critical Reflection

Critical reflection

Knowing that ES 1102 offers no Modular Credits (MCs) and hearing peers describing this module as “burdensome”, I prepared myself for the Qualifying English Test (QET) to the fullest. I undertook the QET test with an aim in mind of not needing to take any “burdensome” ES 1102 modules. Upon looking at my Qualifying English Test (QET) grade, I felt indignant. My preparations did not pay off: I achieved a Band 2. Bidding for ES 1102 was imminent.

I am skeptical about the takeaway from this module, thinking that this module covers English content similar to an average high school. In the midst of the first lesson, I have assimilated easily into the class environment with the help of an ice-breaking session facilitated by my tutor, Mr. Brad. Surprisingly, he understood the thoughts in us and encouraged us to make full use of our time in this class. It is indeed true that I have been encountering problems grasping my language skills and I should make the best out of the time I have in the spans of this module. Looking back and comparing the level of my English capabilities, I can proudly assert that I have improved my English to a higher standard.

Brad is an extremely dedicated tutor who will constantly engage the class in active discussions and provide the class with useful content. With the helping hand from Brad, I am able to develop my writing skills extensively. Since primary school, I am not able to master the art of writing. In contrast, I am more confident in penning down my sentences without the fear of creating any errors.

Grammar used to be my nemesis when it comes to writing. I was never able to identify the grammatical errors in my own writing. After weeks of polishing, I am able to identify the grammatical error in my writing and sometimes, in my peer’s writing. One effective way of learning that was employed by Brad was peer reviewing and commenting on blog posts. This method is a perfect example of mutual learning. We get to learn from identifying mistakes made by our peers. At the same time, our peers get to correct their own mistakes pointed out by us. Therefore, both parties will refrain from making the same mistakes. I am now better at identifying grammatical errors and make a conscientious effort in correcting these errors.

My learning was also value-added by learning the importance of citations. Coming from a junior college, citations were never encountered when composing an essay in our General Paper. However, being a Life Science undergraduate, citations must always be referenced when writing a scientific research article. In ES 1102, I have learnt to apply the relevant referencing skills. I am fortunate to be able to apply this knowledge into other field of my studies. With an adequate referencing knowledge attained in ES1102, I was able to ace my Life Science Essay writings easily. In addition, by learning the proper citation methods, I am a step ahead of my peers in terms of writing an academic essay.

Learning does not stop here. I might have improved my language and writing abilities, but that does not signify the end of my English language journey. More improvements can be made. Being a careless individual, I tend to make mistakes when it comes to writing. A method of rectifying this problem will be making a conscious effort to check my work. Apart from ES 1102 writing and the final exams, this solution is ubiquitous and can be applied to all of my modules.

I have reached the end of my ES 1102 journey, I am more motivated to read widely and improve my English. Independent learning is key and practice makes perfect. I will apply my improved English writing abilities to any essay writings when given the opportunity. As a saying goes: If not now, then when? Looking back, I felt extremely fortunate to be able to improve my English skills as early as this semester.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very detailed critical reflection. You do a good job of focusing on what your expectations were and your skill levels before taking the course and then the process you followed within ES1102. You also highlight several areas (blogs) that appealed to you. I’m glad that the skills learned in the course have struck you as being very meaningful.

    I appreciate your hard work, Kelly, and the positive attitude as well. While the accolades for our educational approach warm my heart, I have to say that any student should be able to achieve in the course what they put into it. You have done a stellar job!

    All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete