Thursday 23 January 2014

Living in A Globalized World: The Importance of English for Me

In modern age, English is the language that bridges people together. With rapid globalization, it is not surprising if we happen to chance upon someone of a different nationality and race. Furthermore, with the diverse culture that Singapore has, we will definitely encounter people coming from all walks of life. This emphasizes the need of a common language instead of conversing in our mother tongues.

Being able to converse and write in fluent English enable oneself to be expressed clearly. From my point of view, being able to enunciate words is the epitome of every individual’s self-confidence. Hence, this enforces a greater need to refine my English abilities.


My journey in NUS would not be as smooth sailing as it is without the ability to speak coherently in English. With the help of my mediocre English capabilities, I am able to relate well with the exchange students in my hostel. After realizing the importance of English in my daily life, I will definitely walk the extra mile to refine my English skills.

5 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I agree with what you have written in your post and I think that you bring across your message effectively within the word limit. Someone once told me that a good writer is someone who is able to express their thoughts concisely and clearly.

    Despite having to Googled for a few words here and there due to my lack of vocabulary knowledge*, I find the language used in this post was easy to comprehend.

    * Words that I had Googled:
    - Coherent: (of an argument, theory, or policy) logical and consistent
    - Enunciate: say or pronounce clearly.
    - Epitome: a person or thing that is a perfect example of a particular quality or type

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,
    You are very particular about the vocabulary, which also benefits me a lot. Thanks:)

    There are obvious many strengths:
    Beautiful vocabulary. Relating writing to the vocabulary of what we have learnt is easy to say than be done, but you did a good job.

    The weakness is that the 3 paragraphs are not very coherent. Starting from the importance of English, you talked about the definition of good English, but suddenly jumping to you English journey. The logic behind these topics are not shown clearly.

    In a nutshell, I love those words and thanks to Samuel for searching out their meaning.

    Thanks,
    Adella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kelly!

    Strength:
    Demonstrates superior critical thought about what is being reflected upon. Ideas are clear and comprehensive.
    Writes in a manner that flows very smoothly with an appropriate range of transitions; make connections that are always successful.

    Weakness:
    Grammatical error
    For example, enables oneself instead of "enable oneself"

    I hope my comment is helpful!

    Cheers,
    Guifang

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi kelly,

    I can see that you are really keen to improve your language! I think that your sentence structures in this post are short and concise. This makes the reading of your post easy on the eyes.

    As others have said, you used a variety of vocabulary, I learnt a new word today as well,epitome. Keep up with those usage! I will be keeping a lookout for your next post!!

    Regards, Jun Hao

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kelly, for this thoughtful post and your enthusiasm. Rightly you've mentioned the great value that English has in an environment like Singapore. You've also garnered very good feedback from your peers. I look forward to reading more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete